Ohio Christian University was founded in 1948 as Circleville Bible College for the purpose of educating clergy for the Churches of Christ in Christian Union. Ohio Christian University has expanded its outreach by becoming accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association and the Association for Biblical Higher Education.
The Club Sports program began in the 1970's under Dr. David Lattimer. OCU Athletics joined the NCCAA in 1981 and played a full intercollegiate schedule under the leadership of Mike Walters and Mike Holbrook.
The first sports offered were men's basketball and men's soccer. The athletic department has since added Volleyball, Baseball, Women's Soccer, Golf, Softball, Cross Country, Track, and Tennis.
In 2007, OCU opened the Maxwell Leadership Center which housed a new gymnasium and locker rooms.
The Trailblazers have won a total of 14 Regional Championships in Baseball, Men's Soccer, Men's Basketball, and Women's Volleyball.
In March of 2013, Men's Basketball won the first NCCAA National Championship in school history.